Saturday, May 1, 2010

Grim

I have a friend who is a trained economist. I asked him about the economic collapse that Greece is going through and what it means. "Things are gonna get terrible. Very terrible," he said with a rather evil looking grin. He said something like (I'm not an economist nor have I taken a course in economics) the folk who control the machinery that create the ratings also created the ratings. These folk (he gave the name, but I don't remember) highly inflated the prices of these economies and made gazillions. Now they have to junk Greece and have reduced greatly the ratings of Spain, Portugal, and other nations he mentioned. This has a rather grim global economic outlook. None of the thieves that made gazillions off of this will see a day behind bars, of course. But at least millions of people will suffer and thousands die because as my economist friend says, "that money means lives as well." And those millionaires and billionaires will be drinking expensive champagne and continue to live the high life until it is all gone.

Combine this horrible news with the massive amounts of natural disasters happening recently and the unnatural disasters such as the tanker on the Great Barrier Reef and the BP caused oil spill in Louisiana and the closing of many mines in the U.S. because of safety issues etc. I wonder what is gonna happen next?

No comments:

Post a Comment